1 densely branched Eurasian plant; foliage turns purple-red in autumn [syn: summer cypress, burning bush, fire bush, fire-bush, Bassia scoparia, Kochia scoparia]
2 a gazebo sited to command a fine view
- a UK /ˈbɛl.və.dɪə(ɹ)/ /"bel.v@.dI@(r)/
- 1919, Ronald
Duckworth, hardback edition, page 57
- "One evening," she went on, "while Madame Orio was fast asleep in her little belvedere (it being the good old lady's habit to repair there to rest after a bottle or two of red Padua wine), Manette and Marton left the widow's house noiselessly in the Campo San Zobenigo, and made their way running towards the Piazza of St. Mark's. [...]"
Belvedere in Italian literally means beautiful view.
It is used as a generic architectural term (see Belvedere (structure)), and has been used to name many things:
- The Belvedere (structure), a small garden casino near the Vatican Palace, Rome, connected to it by the Courtyard of the Belvedere
- Belvedere (fort) in Florence, Italy
- Belvedere (palace) in Vienna, Austria
- Belweder (Belvedere Palace) in Warsaw, Poland
- Belvedere Estate in Calcutta, which houses the National Library of India
- Belvedere Estate (New York) in Tarrytown, New York, Unification Church meeting place / Sun Myung Moon's former residence
- Belvedere House and Gardens in Ireland
- Belvedere Park & Belvedere Towers, residential apartments in Gurgaon, Haryana (near New Delhi, India)
- Claremont (country house) (Claremont Belvedere), a stately home in Surrey, England
- Belvedere (Potsdam), Germany
- Belvedere College, Dublin, Ireland
- Belvedere Plantation near Richmond, Virginia
- Belvedere (London) Station
- Belvedere LRT Station, an LRT Station and Major Transit Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Belvedere, hunting palace of the Bishops of Speyer in Bruchsal, Germany
- Belvedere, a residential apartment complex in the suburb of Glenwood, South Africa
- The Belvedere Academy (formerly The Belvedere School), GDST girls school in Liverpool, England
- Belvedere, Antebellum house(pre civil war) built in Holly Springs MS 1858. It is said to be the boyhood home of Shepard Smith(Fox News)but not confirmed.
- Belvedere, near the Riverfront, an outdoor structure in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Hotel Belvedere du Rayon Vert, Art Deco building at Cerbère, France
- Belvedere at Yuánmingyuán near Beijing, China (destroyed by Lord Elgin in the Second Opium War)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Belvedere_of_the_God_of_Literature%2C_Summer_Palace.jpg
- Belvedere, M. C. Escher's famous 1958 lithograph
- Il Bevedere A large Promontory/hill/penninsula on the Southeast of Ponza island, Italy. It has a cliff on it's southern side. It is the home of Giardino Botanico Ponziano a natural botanical garden of endangered species native to the Pontine Islands Archepelago It includes a large villa Belvedere del Governatore also known as Villa Madonna collina Belvedere. Below at water level is the Grotta di Ulisse O Del Sangue which is known as Odysseus Cave. The northern side slopes as part of the town and forms the mouth of the harbor. It includes the local cemetery and the Grotto of Pontius Pilate. Above is a small lighthouse.
- Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria, Italy
- Belvidere, New Jersey [sic]
- Belvedere, California
- Belvedere, South Carolina
- Belvedere Park, Georgia
- Belvedere, London and Belvedere railway station
- Tunis Belvedere
- The Belvedere Club in Charlevoix, Michigan, a wealthy and historic summer home association and golf club
- Riverfront Plaza/Belvedere in Louisville, Kentucky, next to the wharf on the Ohio River
- Belvedere, a neighborhood in Edmonton, Canada.
- Belvédère, Alpes-Maritimes, France
- House of Belvedere an Italian clan or family originally from Italy. The name goes back to the 8th Century AD and is listed with the Royal French Heraldry Encyclopedia. The family crest is two crossed swords over a triple scalloped hill with three stars in fess above. The name appears on everything from hotels to theaters to restaurants to streets and boulevards. Aircraft and automobiles and ships have been given this widespread name.
- Belvedere (comic strip)
- Bristol Belvedere: The Belvedere helicopter, designed by the Bristol Aeroplane Company (later Westland Aircraft)
- Mr. Belvedere, an American sitcom that aired from 1985 to 1990, based on the novel Belvedere by Gwen Davenport
- Belvedere Records
- Belvedere (band), a Canadian punk rock band founded in the late 1990s.
- Belvedere (vodka), a premium vodka.
- Plymouth Belvedere, an American automobile made by Plymouth from 1951 through 1970
- Belvedere (cartoon character), a cartoon bulldog in Looney Tunes' Bugs Bunny and Tweety show cartoons who was called by his master, an ornery Southern Colonel: "Oh Belvedere.... come here boy!"
- Belvederefilm, an independent film production company based in Los Angeles and Vienna, founded 1999 by Elfi von Dassanowsky and Robert von Dassanowsky
- Robert Mascara, Australian television personality on Good Morning Australia who is almost always referred to as "Belvedere" by Bert Newton.
- Belvedere Stadium, Home of Liverpool FC, soccer team from Montevideo
- Belvedere, Surbub in the western part of the city center of Harare, Zimbabwe. The majority of residence are of Asian origin and hosts two higher education instititutions. These are the Belvedere Technical teachers College and Harare Institute of Technology.
- Belvedere - a small round copse on a hill as part of the scenic layout of formal gardens on an estate.
- Earl of Belvedere, an Irish peerage from 1756 to 1814
- Belvedere Coco, minor fictional character of the anime series Vandread
belvedere in German: Belvedere
belvedere in Spanish: Belvedere
belvedere in French: Belvedere
belvedere in Italian: Belvedere
belvedere in Lithuanian: Belvederis (reikšmės)
belvedere in Dutch: Belvédère
belvedere in Polish: Belvedere
belvedere in Portuguese: Belvedere
belvedere in Russian: Бельведер (значения)
belvedere in Volapük: Belvedere
Havana, Texas tower, alcove, beacon, bleachers, box of cigars, bridge, cheroot, cigar, cigar box, cigar case, cigar cutter, cigarillo, colorado, conning tower, corona, gallery, gazebo, grandstand, humidor, lighthouse, lookout, loophole, observation post, observatory, outlook, overlook, pagoda, peanut gallery, peephole, pharos, ringside, ringside seat, rope, sighthole, stinker, stogie, top gallery, tower, trichinopoly, watchtower